Saturday, January 27, 2007

When I was FIVE

When I was five...
I knew what I wanted to be
When I grew up...
I wanted to be a Piano Music Teacher
I did not know how to speak my mind then
But I knew how to dream…

I dreamt day-in, day-out
24x7 and 365... and more
I pretended I was playing the piano
Even when I was having a bath
In my bath tub with my rubber duckies..
I pretended I was playing the piano..
I hoped one day when I grew up
Some one would ask me
What I wanted to do…

Little by little…
I grew up
I waited and waited...
But nobody asked me…
What I wanted to be

I was polite and gentle…
I thought I should never tell
What I wanted
Or what I needed
Unless someone asked me first…
They all forgot to ask me
What I wanted…
Instead they all told me
What I should to….

I should be this or that…
But it had no interest in my heart…
My eyes did not glee with joy
My heart did not sing with happiness
I did not find the fire within my soul
There was no spark…

Then I did not have the wisdom
To understand…
becasue I was five
That in real life…
No one really asks you "what do you want?"
Eventually, my time flew by…
With my dreams still tucked in my soul…
Untouched – untapped…
It died without creating that light…

But I am telling you this
When I was five…
I knew what I wanted to be
When I grew up…
It's just that
I did not know
how to say it out loud…
Lets pay attention to our kids.. shall we?

No comments: