Friday, December 08, 2006

Reach Out!


Last morning as I was walking out to the bus stop, I slipped on a patch of black ice and fell. Yes, I went on all fours and it was a very hard fall. I did go down with a “thud” as I am no featherweight. I fell flat on my stomach and for a moment or two did not really know what had happened. There was a woman who walked by me – as I was lying on the road trying really hard to pick up my self – I saw her stilettos passing me by. In my mind I was screaming “help, help” but the words did not come out. I thought the stilettos would reach me. But it didn’t. Perhaps she didn’t hear, perhaps she was preoccupied with something else. Boy! I would have really appreciated someone’s helping hand – that would have meant a lot to me.

As I was picking myself up with great difficulty – thanks to my own hands – that is a lot of weight to lift – I was thinking to my self…. This happens often in real life… doesn’t it? Often, we just have to pick ourselves - by ourselves with no external support. Whether it is a physical fall like mine or some other falling in life – when we are down – it is scary and lonely out there. And we become helpless. I experienced this myself yesterday. As I was down there, I looked up – the sky seemed much higher than usual, the trees and buildings too, even the stilettos looked unreachable. I guess, it’s a different picture you see when you are down there. And if someone remains there for a long time then it becomes impossible to pick-up one self. I can understand, why some people give up. Some times, it’s hard to get-up in life without a helping hand. Last week, closer to home – a young woman took her life. She also took her young son along with her. She jumped off an overhead bridge to the busy highway. She pushed her son before she took her life. Sad but it’s true.

If we can, lets remember to reach out and give some one a hand to get-up in life. We all need to help each other. I don’t think we are meant to do this alone. We can’t. Lets be conscious and sensitive towards people around us. If we took a moment to help another would our lives crash? I don’t think so…

On a lighter note, the previous night I was complaining to my husband that my stomach is growing bigger by the day. No! I am not pregnant. It is just lack of exercise. But last morning – it acted as my airbag. The extra padding really prevented any bones from cracking. I am still in severe pain but things could have been worse. Hmmm… you never know what might come in handy. I have a new sense of appreciation for my tummy now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Niroma,
I am hoping that you are at home resting and healing. I read your messages today and I wanted to let you know that YOU inspire ME! You have a way of looking at things that I can relate too.

Again....thank you for letting me share in your inner most thoughts. It is an honour.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Niroma, we need to slow down from the busyness of our lives and as you said reach out and help someone - that someone can be as close as a family member who we take for granted...We will never find the right time to help others, we simply have to make the time.

Andrea.