Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Closed Door


I used to spend years and years trying to open close doors… yes, years and years – I am not talking about an year or two – close to 25 years - that is way more than a quarter of my life … I was stuck at one stage in my life and ONE door that was closed on me… I felt it slammed on my face… I cried and cried, wept and screamed.. I stood by the closed door – I tapped on it – knocked on it – thumped on it.. I tried to force-open it – it was never opened…I thought one day it would open – just one day – only if I was patient enough, only if I continue to dwell on enough sorrow and pain – only if I punish my self enough and feel sorry for myself it would be opened..but it never did!

By doing this I did not realize my youth was robbed – I missed the rainbows, I missed the sun set and sun rise, I missed the sparkling stars, I missed the summer rain, I missed the joys of life, joys of my youth – I was buried with self-pity - I did not see light. I was facing my back to light – I never saw the sun shine…. I was creating my own shadow by facing my back to the sun – I was standing in my own shadow… I missed out on all the fun… I didn’t think I have the right to have fun – just simple fun – because I was just waiting this door to open… which never did…I thought life will flow after this door was opened for me...

You know? what I did not realize was – every home has a front and a back door… I stood by the front door but people in it had left from the back door. They were long, long gone! but I did not know… my cries were never heard, there was nobody to answer the door – not only had they left, they had also built new homes and castles, oblivious to my sorrows – they had moved on – they probably didn’t realize I was still suffering, I was still weeping – they had moved on… To see, I was standing in front of an empty house for years and years…

During this time, many other doors were open to me – but I didn’t look – I didn’t turn – because I was so obsessed with the one that was closed – eventually the ones that were opened were also closed… I was alone in the corridor with all doors closed… it was a hard lesson but I learnt something good… I know now – not to dwell so much on closed doors… I know through experience now when a door closes on you another opens… this has happen to me many times I believe it now from the core of my heart… I am not saying this because some wise person said this... I am sharing this with you because I have experienced this my self...

Today, I have no anger or hatred for people who didn’t open that door for me – for I truly believe the door that was opened for me was always always better than the one was closed… It has been for me.

Are you trying to open a closed door?

No comments: