Sunday, November 26, 2006

I yearn for fresh roses


A few weeks ago, I attended a community funeral. He was just 52 years old and dropped to death with a heart attack while he was working. He worked hard like many of us. And that day was his last. I sat in the parlour holding my husbands hand. I felt sadness for him and his family. His only child and only daughter had just got married. I doubt if he had the chance to look at the wedding album.

As I was sitting there with a heavy heart, I could not help noticing the beautiful fresh flowers placed around the coffin. There were at least a dozen of large arrangements mostly roses and it was a pretty sight. I wondered whether he could see it. Then I wondered when I die whether I could see it. How sad if I could not see it. I had previously worked as a floral assistant at a local flower shop and I knew how expensive these fresh flower arrangements were. I remembered thinking my self that time – if I really want fresh roses to accompany my coffin I probably could not afford to die. Because, they are that expensive. Since I had a very simple wedding when we got married (no regrets here! extremely happy with the decision – one of the best decisions ever made) I never had an opportunity surround my self with flowers – of course, other than the times I worked in the flower shop. Usually, it’s during weddings and funerals that people get to surround themselves with flowers. I am not talking about the rich and famous here; they would probably wake up to a room full of flowers every single day.

O.k. the point is – would I want to surround my self with flowers when I am gone? (since I am not sure whether I can see – again even if I could, lets say – I may not because I wear glasses and I am blind as a bat when I don’t have them!) I would prefer to be surrounded by flowers at least a few bunches of long stem quality expensive roses while I am alive. Wouldn’t that be great? As you can understand – I yearn for fresh roses… a simple desire… after all; I am not yearning for the moon…..

Now there is a point to my point – lets try, you and me both to make our lives more rewarding and joyful - in engaging in pleasure filled activities. Not just pressure filled tasks and endless responsibilities and obligations. I think its o.k. to splurge our selves with things we desire. As I think about it, is it really hard for myself to give myself this? Is this such a big deal? No – but what’s hard is giving the permission to do it. Because sometimes we don’t think of ourselves as deserving of such treats even if we could afford. Be it roses or caramel peach cheesecake –what ever we yearn… lets have it now if we can - while we are alive and kicking.

No comments: